Sunday, September 9, 2007

America, Fuck Yeah

It's taken me 4 days in New York to finally sit down and write up the tale of my arrival. My excuse has been jetlag but in all honesty, I have felt wide awake since getting here.



Staying with my best friend in Brooklyn has meant my re-entry into the New York life has been a very relaxed one. Although when I finally made it into Manhattan yesterday, it was business as usual.



It's hot as hell at the moment, especially for a girl emerging from the Melbourne winter. But not nearly as um "hot" as the Irishman that served me a drink on Saturday night. Add this to my collection of photos of men behind bars in stupid tshirts



I am a big fan of a good hybrid species - The Zonkey (Zebra + Donkey), The Labradoodle (Labrador + Poodle), The Scott Howard (teenaged Michael J Fox + werewolf). So you can imagine my joy upon discovering the latest in interbreeding technology.




A Saturday strolling around my temporary neighbourhood Boerum Hill, I stumbled upon a tiny shop called The Brooklyn Circus. The owner Ouigi told me about a free Talib Kweli show happening in Fort Greene Park later that day, about a 20 minute walk from the store. My obvious bewilderment was met with "This is Brooklyn Baby!!", a phrase I plan on re-using, possibly even once I am back in M-Town. So I found my way down Fifth Avenue to Fort Green Place and sure enough there was Talib and Jean Grae playing in the park, just because.




My first Saturday in NYC was becoming dusk. My friend Brian texted me about the Vampire Weekend show at Williamsburg Music Hall. I put my shoes on and head out to the sold out show. You could possibly sense the hype all the way back in Australia, or rather the deep depression of a good 40 ticket-less W'burg indie kids coming to terms with having nothing to blog about come Monday.

The weekend is drawing to a close. Being 8:30am Monday morning in Australia I have just got 'into the office', which today takes the form of The Fall Cafe on the corner of Smith and Union. Mark E Smith is not here.

No comments: